Our 2016 community build is a wrap. Another fun, successful project - helping our neighbors stay warm while addressing global issues. Go to our October 2016 newletter (.pdf file; page 6) to see a summary and photos.
It's not too soon to start thinking about joining us next year. Check back here for planning notes on WindowDressers 2017.
We are leading a penninsula-based weatherization initiative that will help people (including those with limited means) to:
- stay warmer,
- reduce CO2 emmissions, and
- work together for the common good.
An engineer and a marketing expert have teamed up to create this Rockland-based non-profit group: WindowDressers.
The initial fabrication takes place in Rockland (cutting and assembling the frames). But the actual fabrication of the interior 'storm window' takes place in our community. WindowDressers provides all the materials, equipment and training to build the product, as well as handling all the money transactions. We are creating a satellite center in our community and receiving positive responses from many folks as they learn about the program. Here is our latest update about Phase 3 of the Project. Can you participate? Use our feedback form or call: 326-8564.
This initiative is expanding at a pace beyond WindowDressers' production capacity. Its business model makes it economically viable without outside funding sources, although grants would greatly increase the amount of help provided to those with low incomes.
WindowDressers involves a technologically sophisticated process. One example of the technical wizardry is the laser measuring of the windows; the resulting data is entered into a program on a laptop which, in turn, instructs a laser operated saw to size and label the sash.
- WindowDressers: 2016 Update (September 2016)
- WindowDressers Build Week: Looking Back (November 2015)
- WindowDressers: Home Stretch2 (October 10, 2015)
- WindowDressers: The Home Stretch (October 1, 2015)
- October 8 Informational Presentation at RSF (September 2015)
- Two Month Countdown to the Community Build (August 2015)
- Sign up to volunteer during the fall Build week! (August 2015)
- Update: The All Volunteer Community Build (July 2015)
- Phase 3: Build Out and Delivery (July 2015) We need volunteers for October; please join in!
- Help spread the word! Please download and distirbute our flier (March 2015)
- WindowDressers Project: Phase 2 (February 2015)
- "Call to Action" Update (January 2015)
- WindowDressers: Furthering RFS's Mission of Fostering Ecological Awareness
- December 2014 update memo for those interested in the organizing effort - planning, volunteering, ordering.
- Step-by-step photos of our initial learning session in Rockland. (Please be patient. This is a large .pdf file and may be slow to open.)
- Bangor Daily News article: ‘It’s just unbelievable’: Rockland nonprofit uses volunteer power to keep Mainers warmer in the winters (10/26/14)
Check back here for more details as the Blue Hill Penninsula satellite center evolves.