Bagaduce River "Photovoice" Workshop
Kevin Duffy, a Ph.D. candidate in Communications at the University of Maine will offer a workshop Sunday, Oct. 13 at 4 p.m. at RFS.
Kevin will facilitate group discussion about opportunities and challenges audience members experience with regard to the Bagaduce River. He will discuss how photos can be used for community engagement and action. And he will introduce his vision for his research project and how it will work. This will be a community-led research project to document and reflect on development and change along the Bagaduce. To that end Duffy will be interested in recruiting community members interested in contributing to the research.
- Duffy’s main goal is to collaborate with a small team of residents, record their local experiences, and explore the diversity of perceptions about how the River
- Estuary is being used or managed.
- This is not a project about debate or consensus.
- The project is about documenting important issues through personal stories and photos, and planning ways to act on these issues as a community.
- This program will be followed by another in which there will be opportunity to learn about and discuss the results of the team’s research at a public photo
Duffy’s research methodology, “Photovoice,” was developed in the 90s. This method, which gives community members a platform to discuss issues of everyday life through photos and storytelling, has recently begun to be applied to study environmental change. To that end Duffy wishes to recruit diverse community members as ‘co-researchers.' Those researchers need not be professional photographers. But subsequent meetings will offer opportunity to reflect on how the photos represent different experiences through storytelling. The content of the photos will be interpreted to build shared meaning. And a photo exhibition for the public will offer opportunity to inspire change and create a common ground of concern for this unique river estuary which defines our community and about which the whole community cares. Learn more at Maine Coast Photovoice.
Sunday, October 13, 2019 - 16:00
Reversing Falls Sanctuary
818 Bagaduce Road04617 North Brooksville , ME